LifeSurance.info – The development and health of the baby in the womb depends on the nutrients you consume while you are pregnant. Pay close attention to healthy food choices for pregnant women so that the mother and fetus stay healthy.
When you’re pregnant, you don’t actually need to eat too much as if for two people. In fact, you only need to add about 300 extra calories, which is roughly equivalent to a banana and a bowl of cereal with low-fat milk.
It’s just, of course, important to meet the various nutritional needs of a variety of different types of food. For example folic acid plays a role in preventing congenital defects, calcium, and protein for the formation of a baby’s body tissue and bones, and iron to help red blood cells carry oxygen to the fetus.
The following are some food and beverage groups that are recommended for consumption:
- Vegetable and fruit
- Lean meat, fish, and eggs
- Food source of carbohydrates
- Milk and its derivatives
Healthy food for pregnant women is also important to nourish the fetus. With enough nutrition, the fetus can grow and develop into a healthy and intelligent child. It is important to get a variety of different nutritional intake so that all the needs of the body of pregnant women and fetuses are fulfilled.
Carefully Prepare Food for Pregnant Women
Processing food by yourself is one way to maintain the quality and health of the ingredients that enter the body. The following is a guide for expectant mothers to prepare their own healthy food for pregnant women:
- Wash all vegetables and fruits that will be cooked to be clean from the remnants of soil that can contain toxoplasma.
- To avoid contamination (such as campylobacter, salmonella, and E.coli), separate raw food storage, especially meat, with ready-to-eat food in the refrigerator.
- Use a different cutting board to cut raw meat for the same reason above.
- Cook the meat until it’s completely cooked. Look carefully so as not to leave a red color, especially for meat that is still covered with skin. Likewise when cooking eggs.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and all kitchen equipment used to cut and process raw meat.
- Know and avoid some types of foods dangerous for pregnant women such as raw food and liver.
- Limit salt and MSG intake because it can increase blood pressure.
In addition, pregnant women who are suffering from certain conditions, such as gestational diabetes, are advised to consult and adhere to the doctor’s taboos and suggestions about foods that are suitable for consumption.