LifeSurance.info – High stomach acid aka GERD will usually cause uncomfortable sensations in the stomach such as stinging, burning, nausea, and vomiting. Some people also experience shortness of breath due to stomach acid. What is the relationship between the two? Find the answer through the following review!
Shortness of breath due to stomach acid, is there a connection?
Acid reflux or acid reflux occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) muscle weakens. This condition results in the muscles not being able to close completely.
Eventually, the acid produced by your stomach can move up into the esophagus. If your symptoms occur more than twice a week, you may have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Symptoms of GERD vary, ranging from heartburn, nausea, and vomiting, to shortness of breath. Difficulty breathing is one of the chronic symptoms of acid reflux. Gastric acid that has risen and touched the esophagus can enter the respiratory tract. This will stimulate the nerves and constrict the airways so that the breath will feel much heavier.
In addition, sometimes acid reflux occurs along with shortness of breath. Meanwhile, in some cases, acid reflux can cause shortness of breath.
In addition, according to Medical News Today, people with GERD may be at higher risk of developing asthma or other respiratory conditions.
Some of the links between the two according to the Cleveland Clinic are as follows:
- More than 75 percent of people with asthma have GERD.
- People with asthma are twice as likely to have GERD as those without asthma.
- GERD can make asthma symptoms worse, and asthma medications can make GERD worse.
Shortness of breath due to rising stomach acid can indeed occur.
However, the clear relationship between asthma and GERD remains unclear. Therefore, research related to this is still needed.
How to Overcome Shortness of Breath When Stomach Acid Rises
If you start to experience symptoms of shortness of breath due to high stomach acid, health experts recommend seeking fresh air immediately. In addition, you can apply the following tips:
1. Lifestyle changes
How to deal with shortness of breath due to stomach acid you can do by changing your lifestyle. The steps are as follows:
- Get the ideal body weight.
- Avoid unhealthy habits, such as smoking.
- Elevate the position of the pillow while sleeping.
- Avoid using too many pillows while sleeping.
- This is a risk of the wrong sleeping position so it triggers a recurrence of symptoms.
- As much as possible avoid tight clothing.
- Do not go to sleep immediately after eating. Wait up to 3-4 hours.
2. Adopt a healthy diet
In addition to changing your lifestyle, also pay attention to food intake. Tips for eating to overcome shortness of breath due to stomach acid, include:
- Identify the cause of the emergence of GERD symptoms, such as certain foods. If you already know it, as much as possible avoid these triggers.
- Limit or even avoid alcohol consumption.
- Eat-in small portions, but often. Avoid eating a lot at one time.
- Avoid eating close to bedtime.
3. Medical action
If the above methods have not been able to overcome the shortness of breath due to high stomach acid, medical help will help. Medical help here means the use of drugs.
The drugs commonly used in patients with GERD can be purchased directly without a prescription, or through a doctor’s prescription.
Here are some medicines to treat GERD:
- Over-the-counter (OTC) or over-the-counter drugs.
- Proton pump inhibitors.
- H-2 receptor blockers.
How to prevent an increase in stomach acid
Given the symptoms of the stomach, acid problems are very uncomfortable for the body, you should make various efforts to prevent them. That way, shortness of breath due to high stomach acid does not occur.
Here are some ways to prevent acid reflux that you can try:
- Avoid fatty, sour, and spicy foods.
- Don’t just eat chocolate. Because chocolate contains methylxanthine which can make the esophageal muscles more relaxed. This will make it easier for acid to rise into the esophagus.
- Watch your onion intake. For ulcer sufferers, consuming it carelessly can trigger an increase in stomach acid quickly.
- Stay away from carbonated drinks because they can increase the production of stomach acid.
- Manage stress well. The reason is, that this psychological problem can significantly affect the production of stomach acid.
Thus the explanation about the condition of shortness of breath due to stomach acid and how to overcome and prevent it. Immediately consult a doctor if the symptoms of shortness of breath get worse.